Have you ever wanted to make your own tissue paper pom-poms? Maybe you didn’t even know what they were called and searched for “how to make tissue paper balls to hang”? (I’ve been there!)
Today, I’m bringing you my special tutorial to make DIY tissue paper pom-poms with multiple colors. Creating these DIY paper flowers is easier than you think.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. For more information, please see my disclosures.
I recently posted my free party-planning printables to help you organize your next event, and I devoted one section to party decor. Pom-poms always make my decor list for birthdays, showers and special events. When I hosted a bridal shower for my niece, I included pom-poms as part of my elegant and affordable DIY bridal shower decor.
Supplies for Multicolor Tissue Paper Pom-Poms
These DIY tissue paper pom-poms require only four items. How easy is that?
- Tissue paper (8 sheets per pom-pom)
- Ribbon (alternative: floral wire)
- Measuring tape or ruler (optional)
If you’re looking for a great collection of coordinating tissue paper, I love this combo you can purchase on Amazon. Often, this is the best option for getting tissue paper quickly and at an affordable price.
Steps for Multicolor Tissue Paper Pom-Poms
- To begin, cut your tissue paper in half along the shortest edge. For example, my tissue paper measured 20 x 20.5 inches, so I folded and cut through all eight layers to form two stacks of 10 x 20.5 inches.
- For multicolor pom-poms, replace 1-2 sheets of tissue paper with an alternate color on both the inner and outer layers. Make sure any patterned tissue paper faces right-side-out on both sides. The outermost layers will become the “inside” of the pom-poms.
- Accordion fold the layers of tissue paper, in one-inch segments.
- Once you’re done folding, cut off any excess tissue paper remaining.
- Use either a piece of ribbon or a piece of floral wire to secure the center of the pom-pom. If you plan to hang your multicolored pom-poms, make sure the ribbon is long enough(see my favorite ribbons below).
- Trim each end of your folded pom-pom in a curved shape, if desired.
- Open the pom-pom in a fan shape before you begin peeling back each layer.
- Gently pull each layer of tissue paper up toward the center ribbon on each side. Eventually, your pom-pom should start to look like a sphere.
For added texture, try making a point at the end of the pom-poms instead of a rounded curve.
If you’re planning a party away from home, I suggest waiting to open your pom-poms at the venue. This will prevent the pom-poms from getting crushed before they have a chance to wow your crowds.
The finished multicolored pom-poms will look like the image below.
I love having the ability to tie in my color scheme, especially with this multicolor version of tissue paper pom-poms.
Now you know how to make DIY tissue paper pom-poms to customize any birthday, bridal shower, baby shower or other special event! I hope you enjoy unleashing your creativity with multicolor DIY party decor.
You might also like:
Be sure to also visit my party decor shop for more inspiration before you go!